I know, your sick of looking at pictures and hearing about our trip to the Mall of America. Good news, that’s it, I have no more to say about that trip and we’re finally moving on to some things I’ve been making.
I found this pattern at a thrift store and thought I’d give it a go. What I didn’t look at was the sizing on the pattern. I didn’t realize that ‘back then’ they only made one size on patterns. So, I now have a children’s size 7 dress. I love the dress and think it’s super cute. I now just need to learn how to make things different sizes.
This dress is pretty easy to make. I mean seriously, there is only 3 pattern pieces. Well, I am struggling a bit with the neck/collar. I’m loving how it’s turned out though. I do know enough to lengthen a pattern to make the dress longer. I know in the 60’s they seemed to like their things kind of short, so I added about 3 inches to the length and hope it works for any 7 year old. I had the perfect fabric for this dress as well. You may remember This Shirt my Mom helped make for C1.
When I show people the dress they immediately know what era it’s from, but the fabric is actually from a modern designer. I’ve also decided I need to start making things that will fit my friends’ kids, or make friends with kids of various ages. I like having someone try on things I’ve made to make sure I did it right and the fit is good, but I apparently only know Mom’s of boys. Or if they do have a girl, they are never the right age. Very few girls around here it seems.
I love how this dress turned out. I’m thinking of adding a white scalloped pocket near the waist, or if it needs to be even longer a scallop in white along the bottom. Once I get the collar just right I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this. I have a niece that might fit into it. I could hand it down to her, then get it back when I have a girl. Or I could sell it in my shop. Or I could just put it away in the large box of all the other girl clothes I’ve been collecting over the years.