That’s my story, and I’m sticken’ to it.


It seems as though everyone posts the story of the birth of their children. I’m not sure why exactly, but I might as well follow and post my story too.

It all started on a Friday night….
I was scheduled to be induced because my doctor was worried about preeclampsia. I was still all in the normal range, but pretty high. I was getting very uncomfortable being pregnant, so I had no objections to being induced. We went out to dinner with some friends; also so they could drop us off at the hospital so we wouldn’t have to drive the 4 blocks and park our car.

We arrived at the hospital about 8pm on Friday the 7th and it took until midnight to get me checked in, hooked up and ready to go. So around midnight they inserted the Cervidil (to ripen my cervix). Daddy and I tried to rest as much as possible, but with Nurses coming in and out all the time to check on me, it was hard to get some decent rest. My doctor came in around 10am on Saturday the 8th and she took out the Cervidil and started me on some Pitocin (to start the contractions). My water broke at 2pm and the contractions came on after that. I wasn’t able to get the epidural until 5pm. I was on some pretty decent pain medications until the good stuff came. The doctor didn’t come back to check on me until 9pm or so, and she said I was dilated and effaced and ready to go. However it wasn’t until after 10pm that she and her team came in to deliver me. By this point, I’m trying to resist pushing as my doctor sets everything up. Finally I say something about trying not to push, and my doctor says so casually that I can start pushing anytime. About 25 to 30 minutes later C1 was born at 10:43pm. So I labored for just under 9 hours and pushed for only half an hour.

I’ve heard stories about other births taking 23 hours and pushing for 3 hours; so I was expecting the worst. They say that your first birth is the longest. Heck, 9 hours, I can handle that. The pain wasn’t SOOO bad; it didn’t hurt like hell until the final pushes when C1 was coming out. Totally bearable, thanks to the epidural. I had also heard that getting the epidural hurt quite a bit (worse than labor); however, I was having a contraction as they were putting in the needle, so really I didn’t even feel a thing, it was great.

Quite frankly, I would rather give birth again, than go through the first 3 days of recovery! Those first three days of recovery were HELL for me. However, by day four I wasn’t all better, but I was WAY better and could manage my sitting and pain. I think that maybe God blessed me so I would continue to have children.

When I told people how I loved being pregnant, they said “ya, but wait until you deliver, you’ll change your mind”. I haven’t, I loved being pregnant, and while I didn’t love delivery, it was dare I say enjoyable.


5 responses »

  1. good job Jenny! He is one handsome little man! I would have to agree that the days of recovery after giving birth are way harder than the birth itself! I kept saying, how come nobody told me how hard the recovery process is?!! It's pretty brutal. Glad you are feeling better!

  2. Well aren't you lucky! I only had a 2 pound baby and I was pushing for two hours and in A LOT of pain…. recovery on the other hand was a breeze for me! Glad things went so well for you! He is a beautiful boy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s